In the past, coconut oil had a bad reputation because of its content. Namely, it contains over 90% saturated fat, which was labeled as unhealthy. However, it turned out that the fat in coconut oil is actually beneficial as it contains nutrients, aids the body to absorb fat-soluble vitamins, and it is rich in antioxidants.
Therefore, nowadays, people are using coconut oil more than ever before. Hence, it can do wonders for the whole body. Coconut oil is healthy, 100% natural, and safe for the skin, body, and hair. Take a look at some of the best ways to use coconut oil:
Fractionated coconut oil is a type of coconut oil in which the long-chain triglycerides are removed, leaving the medium-chain ones only. This oil is highly recommendable for cosmetic treatments as it has a long shell life and an increased stability. Also, unlike virgin coconut oil, it won’t clog the pores. On the contrary, it possesses potent antioxidant effects which make it perfect for the skin.
Take a look:
- Skin moisturizer-instead of using your regular lotion, try out coconut oil. Apply a coin-sized amount and leave it to dry.
- Facial mask-mix a tbsp of coconut oil and a tbsp of organic honey. Then, apply the mixture onto the face. Be careful, because coconut oil will begin to drip as it warms up. Wait for 15 minutes and then rinse off the face with warm water.
- Anti-aging product-if you want to reduce the visibility of your wrinkles, apply a bit of coconut oil onto the affected areas regularly.
- Puffy eyes-apply a small amount of coconut oil around the eyes before going to bed to lower the puffiness in the morning.
- Hair conditioner-put 2 tsp of coconut oil in a small container. Then, put the container into a large bowl with warm water to soften the oil. Then, apply it to damp hair and massage it into the roots. Next, comb it throughout the rest of the hair. At the end, wrap the hair in a towel for one hour and then rinse it with shampoo.
- Prevents dandruff-use it in the same way as a conditioner, just leave it overnight and wash off the hair in the morning.
- Speed up hair growth-coconut oil has the power to strengthen the hair and lower the breakage when used on a regular basis.
- Protects the hair from the harmful sunrays-during hot summer days, apply a bit of coconut oil onto the hair in the morning and then comb the hair evenly. This will provide protection and frizz control.
- Detangles hair-dampen the hair with water and the apply coconut oil. Leave it for a couple of minutes and then gently brush through the tangles.
- Shaving cream-instead of using shaving creams which can dry the skin, you can choose coconut oil. It’s especially recommendable for people who’re prone to dry skin and razor burns. In order to make your own shaving cream, you need 1/3 cup of shea butter, 1/3 of coconut oil, 2 tbsp of olive oil, and 2 tbsp of liquid castile soap. Melt the shea butter and coconut oil over low heat and then add the olive oil. Stir until you get a homogenous mixture. Next, remove it from the stove and transfer it into a bowl. Put it in the fridge so that it solidifies. Afterwards, take it out of the fridge and whip it with a hand mixer until it becomes fluffy. Add the 2 tbsp of soap and whip well. Put the shaving cream into an airtight container and keep it in a cool and dry place.
- Aftershave-it can heal the skin from razor burns.
- Lip balm-if you have dry or cracked lips during winter, apply a bit of coconut oil.
- Exfoliator- coconut oil is an excellent body and face scrub. You need to melt half a cup of coconut oil and add 4 tbsp of white or brown sugar. Pour the mixture into soap molds and put them in the fridge to solidify. Then, remove them from the mold and slice off a piece and use it to scrub the body, after you’ve watered the skin. In the end, rinse it off and apply moisturizer.
- Facial exfoliator-mix coconut oil and baking soda in a 1:1 ratio and apply it onto the face. This will eliminate any dirt and dead skin cells. Your complexion will brighten up.
- Feet exfoliator-simply mix coarse sea salt and coconut oil in 2:1 ration and scrub the feet soles.
- Lip exfoliator-in order to remove dead skin from your lips, mix 1 tsp of coconut oil and 2 tsp of brown sugar and apply it onto your lips.
- Makeup remover-coconut oil is safe for removal of makeup from the skin and eyes. Apply some coconut oil onto the face and gently massage the area. Then, rinse the whole face and pat it dry.
- Highlighter– highlight your cheekbones with coconut oil after applying makeup.
- Lotion bar-mix a cup of coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax in a quart size glass jar and put it in a small saucepan with water. Boil the water until the ingredients melt and then remove it from the stove. Add 1 tsp of vitamin E oil and gently stir the content until you get a homogenous mixture. Then, transfer it into molds and leave them to cool down completely before removing them.
- Deodorant- mix ½ cup of coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax in a glass mason jar and place it in a small saucepan with water. Boil the content until the ingredients melt. Then, remove it from the stove and add 1 tsp of vitamin E oil, 3 tbsp of baking soda, and ½ cup of arrowroot powder. Mix the content once again and transfer it into molds and leave it to cool down before removing the content from the molds.
- Massage oil-when you massage the body with coconut oil, you moisturize the skin and supply it with antioxidants.
- Softer elbows-if you have problems with dry elbows, rub a bit of coconut oil onto them twice per day.
- Softer heels-if you have problems with cracked heels, use coconut oil on a regular basis. This will soften the skin and prevent it from cracking.
- Nail and cuticle treatment-rub a bit of coconut oil into the cuticles every night before going to bed. The oil will stimulate the nails.
- Reduce the visibility of stretch marks-rub a bit of coconut oil onto the affected areas to lower their visibility with time.
- Brush cleaner-get rid of buildup on your mascara brush by soaking it in coconut oil for 5 minutes.
- Enhance the eyelashes-swab a small amount of coconut oil onto your eyelashes for a livelier look.
- Wax remover-if you remove body hair with wax and you have some wax leftovers on the skin, apply a bit of coconut oil and wipe it away with a warm cloth.
- Lubricant-believe it or not, coconut oil is a natural and safe alternative to store-bought lubricants. However, avoid using it together with condoms as it’s not compatible with latex.
- Reduce the visibility of varicose veins-apply coconut oil onto the affected areas on a regular basis.
- Reduce cellulite-apply coconut oil onto the affected areas every day until you notice improvement.
- Bath oil-add a bit of coconut oil to your bathwater to coat and refresh the skin.
- Tattoo moisturizer-in order for the itching to go away, apply some coconut oil onto your new tattoo to keep the area soothed and moisturized.
Coconut oil can also be eaten and used as a cooking ingredient for various recipes. There are two types of coconut oil- refined and unrefined. The refined one is tasteless and odorless and it can withstand higher temperatures. Unfortunately, the refining process includes chemicals, which creates trans-fats in the oil. In order to be on the safe side, always check the label before buying refined coconut oil.
On the other hand, the unrefined version, or the virgin coconut oil is taken from fresh coconut and it’s not dried or refined. It retains its flavor and odor. Take a look at how you can use coconut oil as food:
- Cooking oil-saturated fats are actually healthy and they supply the food with an excellent taste and texture.
- Grease pans-use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil for greasing pans.
- Coffee and tea creamer-mix 2 cups of hot coffee, 2 tbsp of coconut oil, and 2 tbsp of unsalted butter in a blender until the butter and oil melt and the coffee becomes foamy.
- Replacement for sugar-coconut oil is a far healthier option for sweetening your foods.
- Replacement for butter-instead of eating butter with your morning bagel or toast, try coconut oil. This is the healthier version and it has an amazing taste.
- Add it to smoothies-mix 2 cups of coconut milk, ¼ cup of coconut oil, 2 tbsp of gelatin powder, ½ tsp of vanilla, 1 tbsp of cocoa powder, ½ cup of strawberries, and 1 tsp of cinnamon. Blend the ingredients in a blender.
- Salad dressing-along with the great taste, coconut oil will help you absorb the nutrients from the salad better. Just mix 2/3 cup of melted coconut oil, 1/3 cup of olive oil, 1/3 cup of vinegar, ½ tbsp of raw honey, 1 smashed garlic clove, and ½ tsp of oregano. Add sea salt and pepper for taste.
- Mayonnaise-the version of mayonnaise with coconut oil is a bit healthier. Hence, combine 2/3 cup of coconut oil, 2/3 cup of olive oil, 1 tsp of mustard, 1 tbsp of lemon juice, and 4 egg yolks.
- Prevent freezer burns– before you put anything in the freezer; add a thin layer of coconut oil on top of it to form a seal that will prevent this condition from happening.
- Preserve eggs-prolong the duration of eggs by coating them with coconut oil. This has been scientifically proven.
- Popcorn topping-drizzle it onto your popcorns with some salt.
- Persistent dish stains-instead of using elbow grease, add a bit of coconut oil and you’ll clean the dishes in no time.
Coconut oil is rich in antibacterial and antioxidative properties, so it’s a great ingredient for natural, homemade remedies. Fractioned coconut oil works best for the below mentioned remedies, as it has a high concentration of capric and caprylic acids which make it a potent disinfectant and antioxidant.
- Fights off inflammation-according to studies, the lauric and capric acid in coconut oil repress inflammation and have no side-effects like anti-inflammatory meds.
- Treats minor cuts and wounds-first, cleanse the wound, and then apply a bit of coconut oil to speed up the healing process.
- Lose weight-replace other fats with coconut oil to aid the process of weight loss.
- Prevent overeating-eating one spoon of coconut oil before meals will help you prevent overeating.
- Freshens the breath-bad breath is caused by bacteria in the mouth. Hence, the anti-bacterial properties in coconut oil will eliminate them successfully and thus, refresh your breath.
- Aromatherapy-you can use coconut oil as carrier oil which will help your body to absorb other essential oils and herbal extracts. This will help you unwind.
- Increases the energy-if you feel exhausted, coconut oil will supply your body with energy thanks to the saturated fats in it known as medium-chain triglycerides.
- Improves the immunity-add coconut oil to your diet to boost the immunity, and thus fight off infections and viruses easier.
- Betters the blood flow-applying coconut oil on the body can increase the blood circulation.
- Supports the thyroid health-according to studies, regular consumption of coconut oil improves the health of the thyroid gland.
- Alleviates constipation-as coconut oil is a natural laxative, it softens the stool and speeds up the metabolism.
- Betters bone health-as a fat, coconut oil aids the body’s absorption of vitamins and nutrients. The better the body absorbs calcium, the stronger the bones will be.
- Fights off arthritis-thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, coconut oil fights off arthritis. You need to take several tbsp daily.
- Treats fungal and yeast infections-add 5 tbsp of coconut oil to your everyday diet or treat the affected area by applying a thin layer of oil on it.
- Treats hemorrhoids-apply coconut oil onto the affected area.
- Treat Athlete’s foot-rub it onto the feet along with tea tree oil for immediate relief.
- Treat toenail fungus-apply a small amount of coconut oil onto the affected area daily until you notice improvement.
- Reduce bad cholesterol-the high levels of lauric acid will increase the good cholesterol levels, and lower down the bad cholesterol.
- Treat cold sores-apply coconut oil several times daily to soothe the painful area.
- Treat sore throat-dissolve a spoon of coconut oil in your mouth and leave it to roll down the throat.
- Treat coughs-mix one tsp of honey and half a spoon of coconut oil. Add warm water so that it fills a quarter of a cup. Drink it while still warm.
- Insect repellent-bugs cannot stand coconut oil. So, the next time you’re out for a walk in the woods, apply coconut oil onto your exposed body parts.
- Treat bug bites-apply coconut oil onto the affected area to relieve irritation and itching.
- Soothe bee stings-applying a bit of coconut oil onto the affected area will lower the swelling and pain.
- Treat sunburns-as we all know, sunburns can be painful. In order to alleviate the pain, mix a 1:1 ratio of coconut oil and Aloe Vera gel and put it in the fridge for a while. Then, rub the burned area to cool down the skin.
- Treat poison ivy exposure-soothe the affected area by rubbing the area with coconut oil. Also, warm bath with coconut oil is highly recommendable.
- Soothe chicken pox-rub coconut oil onto the affected areas.
- Treat heartburn-3 tbsp of coconut oil daily can better your digestion and soothe the esophagus.
- Treat toothache-mix 1 par coconut oil and 2 parts clove oil and then apply the mixture to the gums with the help of a cotton swab.
- Natural toothpaste-mix 6 tbsp of coconut oil and baking soda with 25 drops of spearmint essential oil. Use the mixture as natural toothpaste.
- Mouthwash-the method is known as oil pulling and it involves swishing 1 tbsp of coconut oil in the mouth and then spitting it out.
- Remove ear wax-with the help of an eyedropper; drop two drops of coconut oil to break up the wax deposits.
- Remove warts and moles-rub coconut oil onto warts and moles and cover them with a bandage. If you repeat this regularly, the wart or mole will fall off eventually.
- Fight off allergies-apply a bit of coconut oil onto your nostrils for relief.
- Treat ear infections-apply coconut oil onto the ear to destroy the infection.
- Stop nose bleeds-rub a bit of coconut oil to your nostrils.
- Prevent lice-dip a comb in coconut oil and then comb the child’s hair with it.
Pregnancy and baby care
- Nipple cream-lower irritation caused by nursing with the help of coconut oil. Just apply a bit of coconut oil onto the nipples. It’s 100% safe for you and the baby.
- Increase the milk supply-take 4 tbsp of coconut oil daily.
- Prevent morning sickness-take 1 tbsp of coconut oil every morning.
- Prevent perineum tears-prevent perineum tears during childbirth by applying coconut oil to the area during the last weeks of your pregnancy.
- Baby skin moisturizer-as babies have a sensitive skin, coconut oil is the perfect choice for a moisturizer. It won’t cause infection and it is completely safe. Apply it to dry patches to keep them moist and protected.
- Treat diaper rashes-apply coconut oil onto the affected area to soothe the rash and prevent further irritation.
- Remove rust-apply a thin layer and leave it for couple of hours and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Unstuck a zipper-rub some coconut oil onto it.
- Remove gums-if you accidently dropped your chewing gum on the carpet or shoes, use coconut oil to get rid of the gunk.
- Fix squeaky hinges-lubricate the hinges with coconut oil to stop the squeaking.
- Lubricate kitchen appliances-rub a thin layer of coconut oil onto the blades of blenders, mixers, etc. to keep them going.
- Polish furniture-rub your furniture with coconut oil and it will shine as new.
- Clean the plants-apply some coconut oil onto your indoor plants to prevent dust buildup and make them shine.
- Remove soap scum-apply coconut oil to ease the scrubbing.
- Shoe shiner-rub your shoes or purse with coconut oil.
- Clean leather-when you’re shining the leather shoes, you’re also cleaning them. Amazing, right?
- Remove a stuck ring-apply coconut oil around the ring to ease the removal.
- Coat snow shovels-apply some coconut oil onto the shovel to prevent the snow from sticking to it.
As you can see from the abovementioned uses, coconut oil is definitely one of the most versatile products out there. So, what are you waiting for? Go and buy a jar or two!